Huawei’s Mate 20 Pro is here. It’s a high-end flagship phone to go up against the Google Pixel 3 XL and the iPhone XS Max, with a price tag of €1049 (priced at £899 in the UK and equivalent to $ 1,220).
The Chinese phone maker is a huge deal, even if it doesn’t quite boast the brand recognition of Samsung or Apple. It is the second biggest smartphone maker in the world, behind Samsung, and has put major spend into crafting beautiful flagship devices.
You might already be familiar with Huawei’s P series, an impressive range of Android phones updated earlier this year. Now there’s the year-end Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro.
Here are the coolest new features on the Mate 20 Pro:
- Qi-compatible phone-to-phone wireless charging which, in plain English, means you could wirelessly charge an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy phone by placing it against a Mate 20 Pro.
- Huawei lets you unlock your phone with your face through a facial recognition feature, similar to an iPhone.
- There’s also on-screen fingerprint recognition, which works smoothly on a first run.
- A Leica-powered triple-lens camera intelligently tracks the subject of photos, has real-time video filters, and lets you take beautiful ultra-wide and close-up shots.
- It launches with Android 9 Pie out of the box.
- It’s than the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.
Business Insider spent a few days with the Mate 20 Pro. Here’s what we took away from a first look.